Wednesday 7 December 2016

I'm back again

Well, loads have happened since the last post. I did manage to go back to work eventually, and lasted three and a half terms. However, as my new manager has very poor understanding of both mental health and reasonable adjustments, I have now been put in the position where I will sign a Settlement Agreement and leave my job.

On the plus side, this will give me a small window in which I can loll around feeling sorry for myself; take long walks with the dogs; drink innumerable cups of tea while discussing the various difficulties faced by those with poor mental health in the workplace; try to rebuild my mind through therapy and mindfulness; and move into my new life as a single parent in a different house and with zero connection with my estranged husband. Plenty to be getting on with, that's for sure.

I've learnt so much over the years, and also have re-learned. I've always felt that the key is in 'the little things', and so the title of this blog, but have found so much more value in how the small things experienced through the senses can help bring an instant moment of pleasure or happiness. It's grounding, brings you to the now, this actual moment in time, and brings some relief from the abstract swirling chaos of the mind.

My daughter, who has dug her heels in and pushed and dragged her mind into a form that she can work with, has fine tuned this skill of the now. She spends a long time finding the right soap, so that each time she washes her hands, she has a moment of pleasure with heady scent and luxurious foam. She goes that extra nine yards to choose food that will make her feel good, and tastes good. She has build a relationship with the greengrocer on the market, who has time to have a quick chat, look out for particular veg and make recommendations. These all support her mind, by punctuating her day with moments of time spent in the present. What a lesson for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do comment